Wednesday, January 15, 2014

German Things

I think I've decided that each post is going to focus on a theme or have some sort of topic that I stick to. There are literally so many different things that I could talk about at any given moment so I think this way I'll never run out of things to say, luckily for you;)

What I've been wanting to talk about for awhile, though, is the German people. It's interesting how each different demographic acts totally different and basically grew up in such different worlds. The place I live in is called Vauban, and is known throughout Freiburg, which is already an intensely eco-friendly city, as an especially green sector. All of the students living in my residence area seem to be very interested in bikes, recycling, and just generally saving the earth which I am completely STOKED about because that is exactly what I am obsessed with in America except it's not as weird to be like that here. At home everyone just knew that at some point during the day I was going to yell "YOU HAVE TO RECYCLE THAT" or "you know this can be recycled..." so it was kind of my thing. Anyways, it makes the general aura  of the place just so calm and earth friendly and basically has kind of a hippie vibe. It seems that most of the students that live in the residence halls, or at least those that I've met and my flatmates, are on the older side. Most of the Germans I've met in Vauban have been older than 22 and working on their Bachelors or Masters degree from the Albert-Ludwigs Universitat which is the University here in Freiburg. They all have such a laid-back style and are really into having quality time with each other. I have not yet seen one German girl who has done anything to her hair. I've seen short haircuts, long very curly hair, medium wavy/limp hair and lots in between but not once have I seen artificially straightened or curled hair aside from the girls in my program, who are American anyways. Its so interesting to see how much less looks are emphasized here. They hardly wear any makeup or jewelry and don't carry fancy bags or purses or wear Juicy jackets or anything. It's more about just being you and having a beer with your friends instead of having to prove something to the people around you with how one decorates themselves. It really makes you feel much more comfortable knowing that people aren't going to be looking at your clothes or hair, but really just straight into your eyes and are going to be generally interested in everything you have to say. I can't always say that for people in America.
The clocktower in the city center
Another big difference I've noticed is how prevalent smoking is here. Just hanging out with my new German friends for a few minutes implies that I'll see at least one or two of them light up or start rolling a cigarette, and ten minutes later the same person will be lighting up or rolling one again. They basically chain smoke when they're together, just rolling cigarettes and passing them around. It's surprising, but not necessarily disgusting or anything of the like. They just have a need for it I suppose. On the other hand, they are some of the most welcoming and inviting people I've ever encountered. I met one of my female flatmates for the first time on Friday of last week, about three days after I got here. She's the manager of the bar on the residence hall campus, called (cleverly); Vaubar. I had just gotten done with my orientation things for the day and though I'd met her just that morning, we hadn't really talked. We ran into each other as I was going to my room after class and right away she said, "do you want some breakfast? come join us outside!" I didn't feel intimidated or judged, I just sat down and started talking to the hungover Germans deciding to finally eat breakfast at 2:30 in the afternoon. The most intriguing thing was, though, that every single person that passed by, Lea happened to know, and subsequently invited to join us. "hallo Jan! Fruhstuck?!" something along those lines in the most friendly way was said to the five or eight students that passed by on bikes or walking and most of them took her up on the offer and sat down with us and asked me questions and ate bread and the grapes I'd brought and just talked. It was so comfortable and easy to be around them and ask them questions. They even made fun of my german a little bit, apparently "Ich" is not "ICK" but "ISH" and I'd missed the memo. One of the students even had a dog and playing with Finn has become one of my favorite things to do when I hang out with them. It really does feel, though, that I've made an immediate friend as soon as I introduce myself to any German person. They'll say hi to me when we pass by, ask how I am, how my day was, and just talk to me until we part ways or reach our destination. It really is so so nice. They also love playing foozball which I thought  was interesting, and funny because some of the German boys hustled some of the American boys the first night at the bar and they still have not forgotten it and vow to avenge themselves.
All in all, I'm really excited to make more German friends and get closer to the ones I've already made. I have to convince one of them to take me to the Alps! I didn't drag my snowboard halfway across the world for nothing.. I'm also really excited to get a mountain bike and see what the bergs (mountains/hills) have in store for me. More updates to come! Tschuss!

No comments:

Post a Comment